The object in the photo above is an antique boot scraper, which one uses to remove mud from one's riding boots if one hasn't a valet. Or if one's footman is busy ogling one's scullery maid. (It is available at Finder Not Keeper here.)
Yes, yes, Downton Abbey is back for its final season. We are two episodes in and the show continues to employ the same old formulas that, by Jeeves, hooked us in Seasons 1-5. Julian Fellowes mixes equal parts gorgeous clothing, settings that show the glory of Merrie Old England, delicious put-downs from Granny/Dowager Countess/Violet and of course a healthy sprinkling of class struggle and snobbish frippery.
Without further ado, this week's listicle is "All things Downton":
- Lady Mary and her granny are two peas in a pod (often wrong but never in doubt.) Here's a fun series of gifs starring the fearsome duo.
- Queen Elizabeth is a fan and watches Downton Abbey with an eagle eye for mistakes.
- Downton Abbey cast members pose for a group selfie in their Christmas "jumpers" here.
- Jessica Fellowes dishes details in this interview given recently in Rancho Mirage.
- Speaking of dishes, Mrs. Patmore getting ready to make headcheese here.
- Send this card to your favorite bathmat of a sister.
- And for those of you capable of nodding off during Downton (including me), you'll relate to this: