Tomorrow is the first day of school for my youngest son, who is a senior in high school. So I'm organizing this listicle around new beginnings. But first days of school don't always mean an apple-cheeked student with a fresh box of crayons and a heart bursting with enthusiasm. The first day of school brings a wide range of emotions, depending on where you are in life. Whether you are a little kid, or a middle schooler, a straight-A student or a student who struggles academically, a girl or a boy, a parent with a last child starting or a first child starting or no child starting, it's a loaded day. Here are my picks from around the web for the emotional roller coaster that is the first day of school.
- I found much of interest in this blog post about a traumatic college roommate situation and the guidelines that colleges used to follow regarding women on campus.
- One of my fave funny bloggers takes aim at the art of packing a nice lunch for your kids in this post.
- Are you old too? That doesn't mean you can't keep learning. I've benefitted from taking online courses at Lynda.com, Skillshare, Atly, Duolingo, and others. Here is a list from the American Association of School Librarians of the best online websites for continuing education.
- I love vintage school desks freshened up with chalk paint, like this one.
- And talk about new beginnings, here's a new app that utilizes old maps for interactive exploration of any GPS location. It's available for iPhone, iPad, and android. A fascinating tool in the classroom or on vacation!
- The best link of the week! Because we are never too old to learn, especially the lessons our older selves have for our younger selves. Enjoy this video!
Photo of chalkboard by Renn Kuhnen. Of course it is available for purchase at Finder Not Keeper!