I am off to Paris in a few days to attend the wedding of a beautiful couple. Could there be a more romantic place to get married? I plan to hit a few markets and antique stores while I am there and consume my weight in pain au chocolat! What are your summer vacation plans? If you need a little break sooner than later, check out my favorite links from around the web this week...
- The suicide of Kate Spade, the rosy-cheeked all-American girl from Kansas City has left me so sad. I remember last year when this interview with Kate and husband Andy aired, I was struck by how happy she sounded.
- These whimsical gifts would be perfect for a bridal shower.
- The old Gerber baby holding the new Gerber baby. Heartwarming!
- Do you ever spend time on the website Quora? A superb way to procrastinate. People ask random questions and upvote the best answers. A friend was once asked me this very question on taxation and large families, and I love this most eloquent answer.
- A cosmopolitan apartment on the Upper West Side in the building where Nora Ephron wrote "When Harry Met Sally".
- Need a book rec? Check out PBS's new program, The Great American Read. Their list of 100 most loved books is printable. (Yes, "Fifty Shades of Gray" made the cut. Commence the lamentations.)
- The fall is coming. Parents will miss their college freshmen perhaps more than they imagined.
- I found this account of a fantasy dinner party so charming! Its author, Ani, is also an accomplished painter of birds. Follow her Instagram here.
- From The Atlantic: "The midlife crisis was invented in London in 1957."
- Antiques of the Week: This Scottish Arts & Craft sideboard is breathtaking. For those who like the boho look, check out these South American vessels.
Photo by Roman Kraft via Unsplash
Also, interesting reader comments from last week's post on vignettes and my rotating display over my desk:
Designer Paige Lewin wrote: I have built-ins in my dining room, but once I style them, they're set for a few years. I love the idea of rotating regularly. Also, everything you do is gorgeous.
Ellen H. wrote: Love all the shelf ideas, but you know how much I love blue and white and the gold dinosaurs are the perfect bit of whimsy.